The center for storage, conservation, and exhibition of equipment, tools, appliances, and machinery used in the nation’s old dockyard
On January 9th, 1890 (B.E. 2433), King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) proceeded to preside over the opening ceremony of this ‘Royal Dockyard’. It was more than a decade since His Majesty officially endorsed the improvement of the Royal Thai Naval Dockyard, from a mud dock to a wood counterpart, in order to repair ships that were custom built from abroad. To date, the Royal Thai Naval Dockyard has continuously worked on retaining its readiness in ship maintenance and building for the Royal Thai Navy. Doing so protects the sovereignty and the maritime interests of Thailand, which is bordered by the Gulf of Thailand and the Andaman Sea, covering a total coastline of 1,500 miles.
Knowledge about dockyard operations, as well as ship building and maintenance processes, has evolved with the development of the Navy’s ship strength. As a result, a great number of equipment, machinery, hand tools, and ceremonial tools have been used throughout the years. Some of those equipment and tools are no longer in service, and are replaced with more modern and higher efficient counterparts. However, they still maintain their values in terms of functionality and history. They also serve as physical evidence and testament of numerous technical achievements attained by our forefathers.
The Royal Thai Naval Dockyard has preserved these artifacts for younger generations, both in naval forces and the public, so that the national history of ship building can be studied and learned through the museum’s exhibitions. In some occasions, audience may be exposed to and shown the actual work performed by technicians in the dockyard such as ship docking, hull repair below the waterline, etc.